There are many new clients calling up about not being to get on the Internet at home. The most popular reason why is that the wireless router is not communicating with the Internet modem. This happens if the router or modem is failing, or if either device just needs a refresh, or power cycle. If you call up Time Warner or Verizon, the first thing they’ll assume is you need a power cycle of your equipment.
To save you a hour or more on the phone with your Internet service provider, here are 6 easy steps to perform the modem and router power cycle on your own:
- Shut down your computer.
- Remove the router power cable. The router is blue or black if a Linksys, white if an Airport or could have antennaes if wireless.
- Remove the modem power cable. The modem is usually black.
- Wait 5 minutes.
- Plug your modem power cable back in.
- Plug your router power cable back in.
- Turn on your computer and should be back on the Internet.
If you are still having computer issues, you should call your NYC Internet service provider. If they cannot assist, you should call a New York computer network specialist for further network configuration or to replacing a failing device.