We’ve had a common computer issue come up lately for our computer technicians. Windows 7 64-bit computers have not been able to play youtube videos. Oh no! Also, if the computer cannot play youtube videos, that means that movies, music videos and other active content is not able to be played as well.
How do you fix the youtube video issue? You would think that a simple Microsoft update or patch would be sufficient. Wrong! The key here is to ensure your Adobe Flash Player is working correctly since this is the program that runs most videos, such as youtube, on your computer.
Here are the steps to resolve your youtube video issue:
- Uninstall your current Adobe Flash Player by going to Start->Control Panel->Programs and Features
- Install Firefox if you don’t already have it
- In Firefox, go to: Tools->Add-ons and disable Adobe Acrobat
- Download the latest Adobe Flash Player and be sure not to install it yet
- Before installing Adobe Flash Player, exit out of Firefox
- Install Adobe Flash Player
- In Firefox, go to: Tools->Add-ons and enable Adobe Acrobat
- Youtube videos should open up fine now
What caused youtube videos not to open before. Most likely, a windows update overrode your Adobe Flash Player, causing an incorrect program association to open videos. Another solution for this youtube technical issue may include installing Flash 0n the 32-bit side of Internet Explorer, but this computer fix doesn’t work half the time and forces you to use the less powerful 32-bit side of your 64-bit Windows 7 computer.