Lately, we’ve gotten a lot of customers bringing in laptops with spills. Wine has been the most popular spill. Undoubtedly, a few glasses of wine will create a little tipsyness and require laptop repair. Beer, coffee, and water are the next culprits.
It’s obvious how you can prevent laptop spills. Just keep your liquids away! But, what can you do to get your laptop running again after the spill?
Here are the steps to fix your laptop after a spill:
- Turn it off immediately
- Take out the battery
- Turn it upside down and open it fully so it’s almost parallel to the table.
- Wipe down any spillage.
- Keep your laptop off for 48 hours before turning back on.
Here are some don’ts:
- Don’t put rice in the laptop to absorb the liquid. You wouldn’t believe how many clients do this!
- Don’t blow dry the laptop. This may cause laptop overheating.
- Don’t turn it on right away or keep trying to power it up. Let it dry out.
Hopefully, if all dries out nicely, your laptop will turn on fine after. A lot of times, the laptop keyboard will go belly up with a spill and the rest of the laptop is salvageable. If that’s the case, you just need to replace the laptop keyboard.