You don’t need to pay for an expensive monthly 3G or 4G plan for your iPad for Internet access all the time. You just need to purchase a tethering plan for your iPhone and save some cash. Tethering allows your iPhone to act as a wireless router or hotspot so that your iPad, laptop, or other devices can use it to access the Internet. You can connect up to 3 devices on your AT&T / GSM iPhone and 5 devices on your Verizon iPhone. It’s great if your traveling, visiting, or just enjoy being outside while going online.
How much is it to tether your iPhone? For AT&T and Verizon, you’ll need to choose the $45 monthly plan that gives you about 4-5GB of data of which 2GB are allotted to tethering. Sprint is about $10 cheaper. You will have to give up your unlimited data plan if you still have one if you choose to go for the tethering plan.
How do you set up your iPhone as a hotspot for you iPad?
- Update your iPhone to the latest iOS. You’ll need at least version 4.3 or 4.2.6 on Verizon.
- Turn on Wi-Fi personal hotspot on your iPhone.
- Go to your iPad and launch Settings.
- Click Wi-Fi in sidebar.
- Select iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S or your phone version under Choose a Network.
- Enter the Wi-Fi password shown on your iPhone.
You don’t have to be an iPad expert, iPhone support person or other IT expert to make this work. It’s easy and very convenient.