The dreaded blue screen of death may come when you least expect it. But, sometimes, it will be helpful enough to let you know exactly what the error is. If you you have a blue screen with a “file is missing or corrupted” error, then you can look to fix the corrupted operating system.
Here’s how to fix a corrupted Windows XP:
- Locate your original Windows XP CD that came with your computer and insert it.
- Restart your computer, tapping F12 to present startup options.
- Select booting up to your CD.
- When prompted, select any key to boot from CD.
- Hit enter as if you’re going to install Windows XP.
- Your computer will notice it already has Windows XP loaded and offer you to repair the current install. Select R to do so.
That’s it. Windows technicians need not apply here. Just 6 steps and you’re on your way to your own PC fix. Remember to update any Windows service packs and updates after your PC repair.