You need to know that msvcp140.dll is a library file where data and code are stored. This is then used by multiple programs, applications, games, and such for running on the windows system. So if the msvcp140.dll file gets missing then you will be shown a variety of errors while starting up any kind of application or program. These error messages will tell you that the msvcp140.dll file has crashed, is missing, wasn’t found, couldn’t be located, etc.
So if you are seeing these errors then there are various ways to fix this issue. If you want to know them or simply want to successfully just install msvcp140.dll then follow the steps below.
How to install an msvcp140.dll file?
- First, you need to download and then install a DLL-files.com client. Then you need to run that application.
- After you have launched the application, you need to type in MSVCP140.dll correctly in that search box. Then click on search.
- Once the search results show up click on the msvcp140.dll file. After that, you need to click on install. Note that you will have to register your program before being able to install the needed files. But you don’t need to worry about this extra step. Once you click on Install, a dialog box will pop up and it will tell you that you need to register the program.
- Once the installation is done you need to go to the application or program that was showing the error results. So if there’s no error message anymore then the problem has gotten fixed.
Carry out a proper clean installation of your program
Know that reinstalling your program might fix up the error that shows the ‘MSVCP140.dll missing’ statement. To carry out this reinstallation, follow the below steps:
- Hold down your Windows key on the keyboard and then press on R simultaneously to start up a dialog box named Run.
- Now you will have to type in appwiz. cpl in the box before pressing on entering. Once you do press on entering, you will find that a whole list of possible programs will show up. Know that all these are already installed on your PC.
- All you need to do now is right-click correctly on the same programs that are showing you that missing or crash errors. Then click on uninstall. Know that you will be asked again if you want to uninstall the program. Simply select Yes. This will confirm your wishes.
- Now you need to restart your PC. Then reinstall the same program you deleted. For example: if Skype was showing you the error messages then you will need to uninstall Skype, restart your PC, and then again reinstall it. Then you need to launch that program.
Copy the msvcp140.dll file from another computer
If you are still facing issues with the error messages after carrying out the above steps then you can copy and paste the msvcp140.dll from another virus-free and safe computer to your own. Follow the below steps to carry out this procedure:
- First, you need to find a PC that has the same OS as yours. Note that if you are using Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows 10 then the architectures of both the operating systems should be similar. So there shouldn’t be any issues while copy-pasting.
- Now you need to go to the other computer and then open up the file explorer. You can do this by pressings on the Windows+E key. After that, head on to C:\Windows\System32 to get the msvcp140.dll from there.
- From there you need to copy the msvcp140.dll file before pasting it on a flash drive. After all, you will need an external storage device to transfer the file from the other computer to your own.
- Then you need to take out the flash drive before putting it on your computer. Then you need to transfer the msvcp140.dll file to your computer’s C:\Windows\System32.
- Then try launching it. It should solve your error messages.
Msvcp140.dll error messages are common, but solving these issues is easy too. Generally, you will find that these error messages will go away once you uninstall and reinstall the msvcp140.dll file. If you feel that it still isn’t going away, then try carrying out a virus scan. That should help fix the computer issue. But if you are still having no luck then contact a professional.