Is it true that iPhones will be useless to thieves with the new iOS 7? Well, pretty much. The new iOS 7 for the iPhone as well as for all Apple support devices will have a kill-switch that will make re-selling iPhones very difficult.
Here’s how the iOS 7 activation lock works:
- Make sure that Find My iPhone is enabled. This prevents the Activation Lock from being bypassed.
- Thief steals iPhone (in theory)
- Log into Find My iPhone and the Activation Lock feature that is built into it will allow you to lock and secure your iPhone.
- Thief cannot wipe nor activate your iPhone for use.
- The iPhone may only be reactivated by you.
The new activation lock is a great deterrent to potential iPhone swipers. Yes, in due time, I’m sure there will be a way for the evildoers of the world to get past this activation lock. But, for now, it seems pretty secure since the only way to bypass it is to hack through the iTunes and Apple servers to re-activate the iPhone. The activation lock is definitely a necessary measure to take for your iPhone support service.